- Hurricane Ike blew in for an awful visit with up to 70 MPH winds.
- Sunday Sept. 14 at 2:00 our power went out.
- I had to mash our mashed potatoes with a spatula, yes, they were lumpy.
- Our upstairs shudder busted in half.
- We were w/o electric for 89 hrs. We have gas water heater, but electric stove.
- over 1 million outages, the electric company we use had over 700,000 out.
- 84 out of 87 counties affected.
- due to no power, there was a gas shortage because it wasn't able to be pumped out of tank.
- Duke Energy had workers in Texas and had to call them home to help in this mess.
- They (Duke Energy) went from 12,000 workers to 16,050 to fix this outage.
- Electric company workers worked 16 hr. shifts.
- The wind blew my 79 year old dad over on the road. He was a little scratched up, but fine.
- The mums Sam and Blake planted on Saturday (the day before) BLEW out of the ground.
- Some people were running extension cords across the street to feed off others generators to keep their food frozen.
- Went to bed by 9 p.m. because nothing to do. Could be a baby boom in 9 months.(time will tell)
- Level 3 on Sunday and Monday morning that means ONLY essential personnel on road.
- Dad and Sue left for Oklahoma anyway on Monday morning.
- No ice available for miles. Matthew 25 ministries were giving ice away on Tuesday along with bottled water.
- The weather was perfect: no rain, temps below 83, and not too cold.
- One week later the weather is (was) still co-operating w/ no rain and pleasant temps.
One week later, Sunday evening they still had 700 w/o power.
- Now for some pictures, I didn't go picture hunting, I thought that was rude, due to the fact that some had trees in their roofs and cars smashed. So this is just our property:
This is my dad's arm and now he is forever known to his great-grandson as "grandpa, the one that got blown over by the wind" (he has 5 grandpa's so it could be confusing to him).
I actually witnessed the tree fall, very amazing that I just so happened to look out and it was falling over!
Just some of our spoiled food, too much to put in one picture.New food, time to restock the refrigerator.