Friday, November 13

Handdryers and Germs, NO Thank-You

I can't take the credit for this post because I was blog hopping and came across this at:




Everyone in the cleaning industry has always been told that hand dryers in restrooms are not sanitary, they spread germs and bacteria around. I always thought that this just came from the paper companies because they are loosing sales to the hand dryers. A couple of year sago, I was working with a rep, and I noticed that after he washed his hands and noticed that there were no paper towels, only a hand dryer he left the restroom with wet hands. I asked him about it. He said that hand dryers blow a lot of germs and bacteria around. He also told me to take a look under the hand dryer next time I was in a restroom. There is a filter underneath the hand dryer that is supposed to be cleaned on weekly basis. I looked at one, and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. It had layers and layers of caked on gunk(disgusting). Since then I will not use hand dryers in restrooms. Now this is where the story gets really interesting. The schools and universities that have had the H1N1 (swine flue) outbreak this year are being told by the health department that they have to take out all of their hand dryers and replace them with towel dispensers because the hand dryers are spreading disease. Please pass this along so everyone knows not to use hand dryers.


I heard this many years ago and I just cringe when I must use one of these dirty germy things. I'll use them in the winter or when it's cold out, but seriously, I am going to try to never use one again, YUCK, I think they need to put a MR. Yuck sticker on each one, or better yet, tear 'em out and give us paper towels.




3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Think about all the trees that would be cut down to make these paper towels though if everyone switched. I definately don't want the germs but would like to see a way to keep the trees too.

Nicole said...

Ewww...I hate most hand dryers. The one I do love is the Dyson airblade, and it seems pretty sanitary. I usually go back and dry my hands with TP if there aren't any paper towels. I also open the bathroom door on the way out with my paper towel, then trash it.

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.